Disciplining a child is hard work. According to Dr. Jennifer Hartstein, PsyD, “Discipline is a necessary thing in life, for certain, and how we engage in it is important in building positive self-esteem and a healthy sense of self in children.” It involves reaching a balance between being an authority figure as well as somebody who loves them unconditionally. However, inadvertently parents may be caught off guard on not so good days and can verbally lash out at others, and this might include his/her child. The offense might sound minimal as compared to any other type of abuse. Oftentimes, parents might also rationalize their behaviors and temper as something out of their control brought about by the everyday stress of taking care of the kids as well as juggling their other responsibilities. Experts negate this frame of mind stating that any abuse is not justifiable.
One of the worst things that can happen to a child is experiencing verbal, physical and emotional abuse from his own parents. According to Christine Hammond, LMHC, “Emotional abuse is just as damaging as other types of abuse, if not more so because it leaves no visible scars. Instead, the wounds are deep and can take a functioning person and turn them into traumatized.” It can be disheartening to see a child, in his tender years, to be subjected to any form of aggressiveness or brutality. Obviously, the practice of child abuse by parents is widespread in society.
However, only a few people can dare to stand up against abusive parents and to help the kid in need. Do not be like these individuals. If you see a child who is abused by his mother or father, make sure of these things:
The beautiful thing about being a teacher is that you get to inspire children to grow up to become successful individuals. Most of their dreams are developed while they are in the classroom, talking with their friends and listening to your lessons. These students of yours look up to you for inspiration, which is why most of them may treat you as their second parents.
A child who has gone through a lot of abuse and violence at home will most likely experience trauma. According to Suzanne Burger, PsyD, “Trauma is best understood as any life experience or enduring conditions that overwhelms a person’s nervous system and emotional capacity to manage it.” There are many adverse effects that are associated with child abuse. As you probably know by now, there are different forms of harm that a particular kid may encounter such as physical, emotional, and verbal. The causes of the infliction of this abuse may vary from one situation to another. However, when it comes to adverse effects, these are almost the same. Check this list:
There are many forms of abuse that a child may experience in his lifetime. Not everyone knows but child neglect is a form of abuse. According to Marie Hartwell-Walker, “Children who are constantly ignored, rejected, threatened, or belittled grow up without the inner resources that everyone needs to cope with difficult times.” Many parents spend most of their time working in the office or managing their business. Because of this, they barely have enough time to care for their children. This is the primary reason why some parents prefer to hire someone to watch over the kids when they are busy.
It has not been too long ever since the conception of the first Plants vs. Zombies (PvZ) game that has taken over a lot of computer screens across the globe. In 2016, fortunately, PopCap Games introduced its successor – the PvZ Heroes.
Based on the title of the game itself, expecting seeing special effects and higher quality of graphics is practically a given. However, those are not the only factors that you can look forward to.
The developers of PvZ Heroes have created it in such a way that you, dear gamer, can do the following:
Play On Your Smartphone
A more significant number of people can while away their boredom because there is an enjoyable application that can make them momentarily forget about the time. They can also concentrate on the persistent dead creatures and lively plants that are duking it out on somebody’s lawn. Many fans of the game have anticipated this for so long, especially the ones who became addicted to Plants vs. Zombies. It is heartwarming to notice that the creators have managed to deliver what the supporters want.
Meet Wonderful Creatures
Since this is the fourth installment of the game, PvZ followers have gotten acquainted with the characters presented in the last three apps. What is impressive about the concept of the newest product is that the popular plants and zombies from those games can also become seen here. By letting them blend in with the new heroic creatures, the smartphone users have more things to appreciate.
The upgrades done on the characters are not subpar as well. From the design of the whole game to the powers that have been imparted to each zombie or plant, it is apparent how they have designed it well.
Build The Dream Team
The idea of picking the cards that you want to use against the zombies has initially been brought to our knowledge through the original PvZ. However, you have just formed a regular band of floras at that time, as the ultimate dream team can be built in this application.
Players can mix and match the characters in a manner that is advantageous for them. The creatures with superpowers can mingle with the ones that have not gone through enhancements to form the right balance within the game.
Compete With Friends
Another benefit that Heroes has carried since its release date is the chance for you to play against your best gals and pals without needing to pass the mobile phone around. As long as they have the application downloaded, you can choose to be one of the plants or the zombies, and begin competing with your friends.
Parents of teenagers may also like this game because it entails that their son or daughter will have no reason to stay for hours on the streets. They can assemble in a friend’s house where they will be safe from harm and have PvZ battles all day long.
What’s not to commend about the PvZ Heroes? Everything you can ask for in Plants vs. Zombies has been condensed in this one epic game. It can relieve your stress from work or studies anytime, and the truth that it is available for Android and iOS users is fantastic.
Parents naturally want to become the best providers for their children. That is especially true if they have experienced hardships themselves as kids. They don’t wish for them to worry about not having enough money for food or roof over their heads. Hence, such moms and dads tend to work harder than anyone. “Burnout is feeling overwhelmed and unfulfilled at the same time,” says Deborah Gilboa, MD, a parenting expert in Pittsburgh. “Look at the big picture and make changes.”
The thing is, spending a lot of hours in the office means parents can’t be with their kids as often as they should. It can bring a lot of cons, namely:
You Have To Spend More Time Away From Your Children
The primary disadvantage of working too hard to give your kids a better future is that you have to spend a lot of time away from them. After all, when your goal is to snag an executive position in a company or build your own, you cannot stay idle at home. You need to be out there, doing your work, and interacting with people who can help you level up. Otherwise, your rivals may speed past you.
You Cannot See The Kids Reach Every Milestone In Person
It is also a downer to know that you have to go on a business trip when your firstborn is supposed to attend their first recital or graduate from high school. It does not feel okay either to see your kids and spouse post photos from the event, and you’re the only one missing there. No matter how much you want to be with them as they reach another milestone in their life, you can only congratulate them online or via phone.
You Risk Having Emotionally Distant Children
I have personally come across kids who are closer to the person who stayed with them often than the parents whom they saw one or two months yearly. They stay polite, but you can tell how forced their smiles are. They don’t talk back, but they don’t speak much to you either. Worse, when a child needs something, they go straight to the carer instead of the parent who’s also there. According to Francyne Zeltser, Psy.D, “Rather than just worry about it, ask your children directly how she is feeling on a daily basis, and try not to be dismissive of h er concerns. It’s important to validate your child’s feelings and show her that you’re here to listen.”
You Cannot Regain Lost Time
Last but not least, trying too hard to give every material object that your kids may ask for makes you lose the time that you should have spent with them. You need to focus on generating a lot of money, after all. You rarely go on holidays; if you do, you may be on your phone or computer often. As long as you can provide their financial needs, you think that everything will be okay. However, it is impossible to regain lost time with your family.
To Sum Things Up
The life of a working mom or dad cannot be easy. You practically have to juggle two full-time jobs as a worker and a parent. You may
not be in a position either to turn in a resignation letter and focus on the kids. Still, you need to remember that your family should be your priority. If you let too much time pass without them, they may end up not needing you anymore. “Despite the possible negative effects of having working parents, children may also experience certain benefits if they have working parents who responsibly attend to their needs.” says psychologist Ashley Miller.
One of my friends is the mom of a 12-year-old girl who has been diagnosed with depression. When they found out about it, she and her husband decided to do everything the child wanted to prevent her from thinking of negative things. If she wanted to go to the mall, for instance, they would take her there. If she asked for a new pair of sneakers a week after receiving one, they would buy that for her.
Despite my friend’s assumption that what she’s doing will help her child recover, though, things worsened. The girl realized that her parents would do anything to make her happy, so she became more demanding. Every time she wanted to buy something, she would say so as if her parents were her servants. If they couldn’t provide what the kid was asking for, she would talk back, yell, or stare angrily at them even in front of other people.
All of a sudden, mild depression was no longer the problem. Instead, it was the spoiled attitude of the child that’s giving the parents a headache.
You can see a lot of families on the beach, but it is no secret that there are more parents who would rather go to a chlorinated pool than stay in the ocean. The reason is not usually because they are unaware of the side effects of drinking chlorinated water even on accident. It is mostly due to their fear of coming across sharks when they hit the beach.
Granted, the great white sharks are on the coastal regions of North America. It entails that you may find it in the United States as well. However, meeting one does not always have to be a life-and-death experience for you. It will help you watch videos about these marine creatures with your family.
3 Things You Learn From Great White Videos
Shark videos garner a lot of views from all over the world because just the mere thought of several people interacting with the great white without being eaten by it is mind-blowing. If you want to follow the successful leads of these individuals, however, there are three things that a marine predator expert like Chris Fallows can teach you.
1. Do It In Calm Water
It is highly unwise to try to get near a great white shark in a disturbed body of water. You will be a disadvantage since there is a good chance that the waves can knock you off your boat and into the ocean. And if you have seen shark videos before, you know that this is when they are most agitated too.
2. Put Yourself In A Higher Vantage Point
In one of Chris’s Great White Invasions episodes called Paddling with a Shark, paddleboard has been used instead of a kayak or any other boat. This has allowed him to stand up and get a 360-degree view of his surroundings. Thus, he can see where the sharks are and how they are acting up.
3. Be Mindful Of The Predators’ Behavior
Sharks should always be approached with utmost caution. Even if they do not speak like humans, it will be evident if you are going to be in danger when they swim aggressively towards you or simply keep their distance. Nevertheless, you cannot go in the middle of the ocean with only have of your mind in what you are about to do, as there will be enough room in your brain for panic and anxiety to kick in.
While the great white sharks are best left alone in their own habitat, it is still interesting to see how they behave when not being affected by external forces. Watching videos of them will allow you and your kids as well to want to take care of these creatures instead of fearing them all your life. You have every reason to be afraid of sharks, yes, but you should also know that you can save yourself from them if need be.
Feel free to look for more videos about the great white sharks on YouTube and other sources. Cheers!
We know that there are already local and private organizations that set up a program to help families in protecting their children against sexual abuse. These organizations involve different concerned people like psychologists, therapists, medical professionals, volunteers, etc. The part of the job is to spread awareness far and wide. One of the primary goals is to teach families the proper way of making sure that children are protected from sexual predators as much as possible. Without further ado, here are the simple things members of the family can do to secure their kids’ safety.
1. Every family needs to make sure that children know the name of their private parts. Yes, you read that correctly. Instead of naming it differently, educating children to use the right name for their sensitive parts is beneficial in understanding its importance. According to Natasha Tracy, a sought after expert for advice in many mental health disorders, ”Label the body parts using the correct terms and use accurate names for sex acts as developmentally appropriate. Make sure the child knows that it’s not OK for someone to touch his private parts.” It is comprehensible that there is a misconception about being vocal on those things. However, if all members of the family are open and frank about it in a conversation, children will think of it as body parts. So when kids know what those parts are, they can immediately pay close attention to sexual predators. These children can say it loud when predators are attempting to touch it. With that, these kids will become less likely a victim because predators appear intimidated with their knowledge about their use and importance. Aside from that, the children’s familiarity with their private parts can make it easier to follow up procedures like in an investigation or court hearings.
2. Perhaps you can consider your children to feel close to all members of the family. There are times that even those not-so-close relatives and outsiders get welcomed in the house because of a significant relationship. However, you must put in mind that having a benefit of the doubt is a must. You need to think about your kids’ too much closeness with these people. In that way, you can potentially secure a distance between closeness and unintentional sexual act. In line with that, teach your children to honor and value physical awareness. Make them realize that too much body contact is unnecessary. Hugging and kissing other people without the thought of malice might be okay at times. But consecutively, it is not healthy.
3. There is a misconception when trying to explain to children what the word “SECRET” is all about. Yes, teaching children the value of keeping a secret is appropriate behavior. However, there is always a limitation as to what types of secrets the children are trying to hide. At least make them realize that some secrets are still secrets even if parents know all about it. It will support open communication in any situation. “The establishment (and eventual betrayal) of affection and trust occupies a central role in the child molester’s interactions with children…. The grooming process often seems similar from offender to offender, largely because it takes little to discover that emotional seduction is the most effective way to manipulate children.” Says Anna C. Salter, Ph.D. The kids will not be afraid to tell their family about any sexual attempts they encounter. Yes, sometimes, it will be hard to identify sexual abuse, and your children might not view the act that way. However, when you let them know that secrets can be alarming, make them understand that it is utterly essential to share it with you.
4. It is okay to ask your children about their day. Allow them to share and narrate their happy moments. Make them think that in a conversation, it is vital to be open about everything. But make sure the children also understand that asking about their safety is also part of the conversation. So better ask them if they feel safe around with people. These include throwing direct questions if someone is trying to harm them or attempting to get too close. It will become an opportunity to know what is genuinely going on with the children, especially when they are away from you. Always pay attention to how they try to narrate their story. Make sure that you know how to identify the children’s gesture when something is not right about their reaction.
5. Allow your children to avoid hugs and kisses or anything that requires body contacts. That is primarily when the act gets enforced. It may seem a little uncomfortable in the beginning. However, it will become a better chance to explain to them the value of their right to their own body. You must understand that allowing your kids to say “NO” doesn’t mean they are rude. Instead, it will enable them to set limitations on what kind of physical contact is acceptable and not. Sexual predators according to consultant psychiatrist Dr. Ken Ung, “Other than seeking sexual gratification, they could also be looking for a sense of control and power over their younger victims. They may like to be the one making suggestions or initiating things.”
Bear in mind that you can’t protect your children 24/7. However, you can allow them to protect themselves by educating the right information.